Information for Employees and Employers
The UK Government has announced that it is stepping up its response to the COVID-19 (coronavirus).
It comes after the World Health Organization has labelled the outbreak of the disease as a pandemic. Employers should now take action to help protect the health and safety of their employees.
It is important that organisations look at their absence management procedures, sick-leave policies, options for remote working (if applicable) and overall contingency planning to ensure they are best equipped to deal with what is a changing situation.
We want to do everything possible to help businesses and their employees manage during this crisis. We’ve pulled together some helpful resources and put them in one handy pack. Just complete your details below to download.
There are numerous HR questions arising from the pandemic, including those around sick pay, self isolation and financial support for business. We've pulled together a Q&A on these topics here.
The Government have also announced a Job Retention Scheme whereby employers can 'furlough' their employees - for more information on this scheme click here
Other Useful Links
- If you find that you or your colleagues have increased anxiety caused by the current situation, then the following guide from Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) England might be helpful: Download: Supporting your mental health while working from home (PDF)
- Coronavirus Awareness eLearning Video
- ACAS Coronavirus advice for Employers and Employees
https://www.acas.org.uk/coronavirus - this is a really good site for explanations around SSP and general pay provisions for employees.
- Advice on social distancing and the vulnerable.
- Gov; Residential Care and Support workers advice
- NHS: Self-Isolation advice
- World Health Authority – guidance on keeping safe
- COVID-19 Financial Business Support Information - https://www.locateinkent.com/coronavirus/
- COVID-19 Financial Business Support Information - https://business.london/coronavirus
- Business Interruption Loan Scheme – information about the UK Government's scheme to help businesses - https://www.british-business-bank.co.uk/ourpartners/coronavirus-business-interruption-loan-scheme-cbils/accredited-lenders
- Guidance for schools, colleges and local authorities on maintaining educational provision (list of identified 'key workers') - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-maintaining-educational-provision/guidance-for-schools-colleges-and-local-authorities-on-maintaining-educational-provision
- Our blog on managing working from home for employees with school-aged children - https://hrrevolution.co.uk/schools-out-for-well-to-be-honest-who-knows/
There are also some steps that employers should continue to take:
- keep everyone updated on actions being taken to reduce risks of exposure in the workplace
- make sure everyone's contact numbers and emergency contact details are up to date
- make sure managers know how to spot symptoms of coronavirus and are clear on any relevant processes, for example sickness reporting and sick pay, and procedures in case someone in the workplace develops the virus
We are currently helping our clients plan for worst case scenarios so that they are prepared.
You can download our FREE guide to HR and People Management in the event of a pandemic, just complete the form below.
Need Further Assistance?
It’s a very uncertain time so please don’t struggle alone, please get in touch if you would like support or guidance with any HR issues.